Building gender-balanced, high-performing pipelines to leadership continues to challenge businesses. It’s especially tough to retain top talent as employees become parents.
As they try to juggle the demands of work and home, 43% of highly qualified mothers leave their careers or off-ramp for a period of time. Yet, only 2% do so to raise their families.
Retaining employees as they transition from pregnancy through maternity leave and as they return to their roles as working parents, requires a collective effort. It demands family-friendly, progressive policies as well as managers and HR to support and position their teams to reach their full potential.
For employees, the transition to parenthood – as with any career change – requires the development of new skills and strategies to succeed.
Strategy + Implementation
Our work begins with understanding where your company is today – collecting the data to diagnose where the opportunities lie. Completing a current-state analysis leads to identifying the programs and practices that will bring you closer to your objectives.
We then get to work on implementation. As we do, we put in place the right structures and ensure key stakeholders – HR, managers and employees – understand their roles and are equipped to support the new direction.
We help you redesign your talent management process so it supports employees as they transition to parenthood. We begin by mapping current processes to identify improvements that will unlock an individual’s full potential and support them in achieving their goals as well as those of the business.
Benefits to Companies
- Bottom line savings incurred by lowering attrition rates. On average, the cost of turnover is 21% of an employee’s salary (not including executives and physicians).
- Create a more modern, integrated culture that attracts talent, retains new parents during a challenging personal period, and increases employee loyalty.
- Improve productivity by helping parents effectively plan and transfer work ahead of maternity leave, while also fast-tracking employees returning from leave.
Benefits to Employees
- Increase confidence by working with new parents to develop the skills and the strategies they need to ease their transitions and enable greater productivity at every stage.
- Reduce the negative impacts to women’s mental and physical health by easing the stress of returning to work after maternity leave and juggling the dual demands of work and home.
- Develop the communication, goal-setting and negotiating skills needed to focus efforts and advance careers at each stage of new parenthood.